The hustle and bustle Ho Chi Minh City has a large number of things to do. After spending one or two days in District 1 and neighboring districts, tourists usually visit Mekong Delta and Cu Chi Tunnels. The legendary of the historic Cu Chi underground system is one of the must-see tourist attractions in Ho Chi Minh City. The Cu Chi Tunnels has a total length of 250 km. There are 2 sites which you can visit and learn more about the Cu Chi Tunnels: Ben Dinh and Ben Duoc. Ben Dinh is more touristic and nearer than Ben Duoc. Most of the tour agencies take their guests to Ben Dinh. Vietnamese people usually choose to visit Ben Duoc which is more local, more things to see and do.
Instead of booking a Cu Chi Tunnels Tour with a tour agency, some tourists would like to go to the site themselves. The tunnels is about 75 km from District 1. From the city center, you can reach the tunnels by bus, taxi, or motorbike. It takes about 1.5 hours by taxi, 2 – 2.5 hours by bus, 2 hours by motorbike. The cost of taxi from District 1 to Cu Chi Tunnels is around 680,000 VND (30 USD). Traveling Cu Chi by taxi is comfort, fast, but quite expensive. In case you are a bike lover, you can rent a motorbike at the price 100,000 -150,000/VND/day, fill the fuel and drive from the city center to the tunnels. 4 liters of petrol is enough, 1 liter of petrol costs 16,000 – 25,000 VND in Vietnam.
The advantages of motorbike include effectiveness, low cost, and flexibility. However, it may rains, or the sun is strong, you will be tired and could not enjoy the tunnels. In comparison to other means of transportation to Cu Chi, bus is cheap, safe, and comfort. The key advantages of taking bus to Cu Chi include:
- The total bus fare is less than 1 USD. It is very cheap, isn’t it?
- Today buses in Ho Chi Minh City are equipped with air conditioners, sometimes cameras, free wifi, sun protecting glass.
- You can experience an interesting trip and the local life when you wait for the bus at the station, sit on the bus and see how locals take around by bus. You can find that Vietnamese people are very friendly and helpful.
The disadvantages include:
- You may encounter pickpocket or snatch thief when traveling by bus in Vietnam. These scams are popular in Vietnam and many countries in the world. You should take care of your belongings, especially the wallet with money, cards, tickets and do not bring many things with you on the trip to Cu Chi.
- It takes more time than taxi to reach the destination. You must go to the bus station from your hotel in the city center, wait for the bus, and walk to the Cu Chi Tunnels site from the bus station yourself. However, it is worth walking and waiting.
- Taking bus in a city where locals do not speak English may be difficult for foreigners. Read about overview and detailed information about buses in the city and useful tips Ho Chi Minh Bus Guide, you will find it is very easy.
Although bus is not the most comfortable mean of transportation to get to Cu Chi Tunnels, it is a favorite choice of many tourists who would like to minimize their budget, experience the city, tunnels, and local life. Let me tell you How to get to Cu Chi Tunnels by bus.
Bus routes from Ho Chi Minh City center to Cu Chi Tunnels
There are some bus routes from Ho Chi Minh City center to Cu Chi Tunnels:
1. Catch Bus #13 from 23/9 Bus Station to Cu Chi Bus Station. At the Cu Chi Bus Station, catch Bus #79 to Ben Duoc site or Bus #63 to Ben Dinh. Bus #13 also pass Ben Thanh Central Bus Station – one of the most crowded bus station in Saigon. So that if you can not catch the bus from 23/9 Bus Station, you can catch it at Ben Thanh Bus Station.
If you go to Ben Duoc, total bus fare is 16,000 VND which is less than 1 USD. The total trip time is 115 minutes, approximately 2 hours.
If you go to Ben Dinh, total bus fare is 18,000 VND which is less than 1 USD. The total trip time is 120 minutes or 2 hours.
2. Catch Bus #94 from Cho Lon Bus Station to Cu Chi Bus Station. At the Cu Chi Bus Station, catch Bus #79 to Ben Duoc site or Bus #63 to Ben Dinh.
If you go to Ben Duoc, total bus fare is 16,000 VND which is less than 1 USD. The total trip time is 120 minutes or 2 hours.
If you go to Ben Dinh, total bus fare is 18,000 VND which is less than 1 USD. The total trip time is 115 minutes, approximately 2 hours.
3. Catch Bus #4 or Bus #13 from 23/9 Bus Station or Ben Thanh Central Bus Station to An Suong Bus Station, then catch Bus #122 to Tan Quy Bus Station, after that catch Bus #70 to Ben Dinh.
It takes about 160 minutes if you choose this route. The bus fares are 17,000 VND.
Bus stations and bus routes
For your information, I would like to give you the information about the bus stations and bus routes:
23/9 Bus Station on Pham Ngu Lao Street is the largest bus station in the city. 23/9 Bus Station is famous with tourists because it is located next to Saigon Packpacker Area. Most of the backpackers catch buses at 23/9 Bus Station to travel Ho Chi Minh on the cheap.
Located on Ham Nghi Street, Ben Nghe Ward, District 1, Ho Chi Minh City, next to Ben Thanh Market, Ben Thanh Central Bus Station is the most modern bus station in the city. The bus station connects the city to many places in the city.
Cho Lon Bus Station is located on Le Quang Sung Street, Ward 2, District 6; right in the heart of China Town in Ho Chi Minh City. From this bus station, you can reach many places in the city and provinces in Mekong Delta.
An Suong Bus Station is situated on Highway 22, Ba Diem Ward, Hoc Mon District, Ho Chi Minh City.
Tan Quy Bus Station is situated in Tan An Village, Trung An Commune, Cu Chi District, Ho Chi Minh City.
Cu Chi Bus Station is located in Tan An Hoi Ward, Cu Chi District, Ho Chi Minh City. It is the largest bus station in Cu Chi and connects buses from other areas to Cu Chi District.
Bus #13: 23/9 Bus Station – Cu Chi Bus Station; Distance: 35.65 km; Bus type: 46 – 80 seats, Operation time: 3:30 – 20:30; Trip time: 80 minutes; Fare price: 10,000 VND; Trip spacing: 10 – 20 minutes.
Bus #79: Cu Chi Bus Station – Ben Duoc Site ; Distance: 25 km; Bus type: 46 – 80 seats, Operation time: 5:30 – 17:30; Trip time: 45 minutes; Fare price: 6,000 VND; Trip spacing: 20 – 25 minutes.
Bus #63: Cu Chi Bus Station – Ben Dinh Site ; Distance: 25 km; Bus type: 20 seats, Operation time: 5:30 – 18:00; Trip time: 40 minutes; Fare price: 8,000 VND; Trip spacing: 30 – 50 minutes.
Bus #94: Cho Lon Bus Station – Ben Dinh Site ; Distance: 36.10 km; Bus type: 44 – 80 seats, Operation time: 4:00 – 20:30; Trip time: 75 minutes; Fare price: 10,000 VND; Trip spacing: 8 – 15 minutes.
Bus #4: 23/9 Bus Station – An Suong Bus Station; Distance: 16.67 km; Bus type: 26 – 55 seats, Operation time: 5:00 – 20:30; Trip time: 50 -65 minutes; Fare price: 5,000 VND; Trip spacing: 5 – 10 minutes.
Bus #122: An Suong Bus Station – Tan Quy Bus Station; Distance: 19 km; Bus type: 60 seats, Operation time: 4:45 – 19:30; Trip time: 50 – 65 minutes; Fare price: 6,000 VND; Trip spacing: 6 – 11 minutes.
Bus #70: Tan Quy Bus Station – Ben Duoc; Distance: 25.65 km; Bus type: 21 – 80 seats, Operation time: 4:00 – 20:20; Trip time: 60 minutes; Fare price: 6,000 VND; Trip spacing: 12 – 15 minutes.
You can learn more about the information about buses at the official website of Ho Chi Minh City Department of Transportation: http://buyttphcm.com.vn/en-us/Route.
Warmest Greetings To All from Tracy Do! Talented and experienced Tracy’s team offers VIETNAM TOURS and Vietnam travel services, especially Ho Chi Minh City Day Trips including HO CHI MINH MOTORBIKE TOUR, HO CHI MINH FOOD TOUR, MEKONG DELTA TOUR, CU CHI TUNNELS TOUR, HO CHI MINH TRANSFER SERVICE and SHORE EXCURSION. Let us have a chance to show you Vietnam to the fullest. If you have any questions about Vietnam including Vietnam tours, do not hesitate to contact me.
- Tel (Call/SMS/Whatsapp): (+84) 909190247
- Email: email@example.com