The famous Ho Chi Minh Backpacker Area has attracted lots of tourists thanks to reasonably priced services and lots of fun things to do. The area comprises of tens of back alleyways through 4 main streets: Pham Ngu Lao, Bui Vien, De Tham, and Do Quang Dau Streets, Pham Ngu Lao Ward, District 1. The area is full of everything including budget hotels (hostel, homestays, guesthouses, motels), restaurants, souvenir shops, art galleries, pubs, bars, cafes, fashion shops, convenience stores, tour agencies, pharmacies, etc. Coming to the area, you can see a mix of foreigners and locals gathering along the street, sipping some beers, tasting exotic street foods, and making new friends. Open on weekends, Bui Vien walking street is one of the busiest streets in the city and a perfect place to entertain yourself.
Most of the tourists fly to Ho Chi Minh City and land at Tan Son Nhat Airport which is about 8 km from the Backpacker Area. How to go to Ho Chi Minh Backpacker Area from Tan Son Nhat airport? What is the best choice? I would like to give you some essential information about How to go to Ho Chi Minh Backpacker Area from Tan Son Nhat airport. I hope you will reach the backpacker area safe and fast as well as enjoy your days in the city at its best.
1. By bus:
- Low price, about 6,000 – 40,000 VND (0.25 – 1.75 USD);
- High-quality and air-conditioned bus;
- English speaking staffs.
- It takes longer time driving from the airport to the backpacker area, about 30 – 50 minutes because of the bus stops;
- The interval between 2 buses is about 30 minutes.
- Yellow airport bus #109 and bus #49 with English speaking staffs, high-quality buses are 2 best choices; Operating time of the bus is from 5:30 to 0:30 on the next day; These 2 buses can be caught at Column 12 of International Terminal or Column 18,19 of Domestic Terminal;
- The bus #109 ends at 23/9 Park which is just a few minutes walk from the Backpacker Area. The ticket costs 20,000 VND (1 USD).
- Especially the bus #49 stops at hotels on its way and does not charge for your luggage. The ticket costs 40,000 VND (1.75 USD).
- Public green bus # 152 is the cheapest but the service is worse, the staffs do not speak English.The ticket costs 6,000 VND (0.25 USD). Operating time of the bus is from 5:30 to 18:45.
2. By taxi
- Only you and your partners on the taxi so that it is comfortable and fast. It takes about 35 minutes to drive in case there is no rush hour.
- The price is higher in comparison to the transfer by bus. It costs 150,000 – 200,000 VND (6.5 – 9 USD) for the transfer by 4-seat taxi;
- It may take a long time waiting at the airport;
- You may encounter taxi scams;
- Most of the taxi drivers are non-speaking English.
Tips: Mai Linh Taxi and Vinasun Taxi with good services (polite drivers, reliable taxi fares, good cars) are 2 best choices.
3. By Grab Car
- The price is lower in comparison to taxi fare, it costs around 100,000 VND or 4.5 USD;
- Private car, good car;
- No scams.
- It is hard to contact with non-English speaking drivers to let him know where you are at the airport;
- You must download the Grab Application onto your smartphone and learn how to use it.
4. By private car
- It is the fastest, most convenient way to reach the city center from the airport. The drive lasts about 30 minutes during non-rush hour;
- Polite driver, sometimes English speaking driver or guide.
- The most expensive choice, the price is from 350,000 VND (15 USD).
- Book the transfer with your hotel or trusted travel agencies;
- You can book with Athena Travel Vietnam; Phone/Whatsapp: +84909190247.
5. By motorbike
- It is fast to reach the city center from the airport in the rush hour because motorbike is the most effective means of transportation in the city;
- You can see the sites on the way on the back of the motorbike.
- Low price, around 50,000 VND (1.75 USD).
- It is hard to catch a motorbike at the airport as a foreigner who could not speak Vietnamese.
- Booking a Ho Chi Minh Motorbike Tour, including pick up at the airport is a good choice if you do not have much luggage with you.
Read more about the bus fares, roadmaps, operating time, and more information at How to reach the center of Ho Chi Minh City from Tan Son Nhat Airport?