Vietnamese black glutinous rice and yogurt pudding (Sữa chua nếp cẩm, Sua chua nep cam) is one of the best desserts to beat the heat in the summer in Vietnam. The perfect mix of smooth, sweet and sour yogurt and sticky black glutinous rice can win the hearts of not only Vietnamese people but also foreigners. A portion of Sua chua nep cam which consists of shining, deep purple (or black, burgundy) cooked black glutinous rice and white yogurt is charming. There is no doubt about that this dessert is healthy.
Black glutinous rice which is considered as “forbidden rice” is the soul of this pudding. Black rice has a nutty flavor with a slightly sweet tinge to it. The rice is rich in protein, carbohydrate, lipid, fiber, etc. which are good for blood and heart. Black glutinous rice retains its bran cover which is rich in nutrients including anti-cancer properties, vitamin E and vitamin B which are good for skin.
Vietnamese black glutinous rice and yogurt pudding is sold popularly in many regions in Vietnam. It is served at street food stalls or restaurants. On your trip to Vietnam, do not miss this yummy food. Or you can make it at home.
Here is the recipe for Vietnamese black glutinous rice and yogurt pudding at home:
- Black glutinous rice: 200g
- Sugar: 100g
- Coconut milk: 100ml
- Yogurt: 600g
- Pandan leaves: 3
- Salt: 1 tsp
- Water: 1l
- Ice: 200g
Step 1: Soak black glutinous rice in water mixed with 1 tsp of salt for 2-3 hours.
- Cook soaked black glutinous rice with 1l of water over low heat until boiling.
- Add pandan leaves, continue cooking and stir continuously until the mixture has thickened.S
- kim foam and husk from the mixture when cooking.
- Throw out pandan leaves.
- Add sugar to the black glutinous rice mixture, cook and stir for 5 minutes.
- Cool down the mixture.
- To serve, put the sweet cooked black glutinous rice into a glass or a bowl, add yogurt, coconut milk, and ice.
- You can add toasted peanuts, shredded dried/fresh coconut meat.