Vietnamese herbs play ant important role in Vietnamese gastronomy. Herbs not only confine to food’s textures, aromas, tastes but also expand to unique combination and freshness. In addition, similar to other kinds of vegetables, herbs contain high-level of vitamins so that they are very good for your health. They can help to protect the human body from sickness and treat depression, flu… They are used popularly to cook and decorate a wide range of delicious specialty, royal and rustic dishes. Herbs are grown easily in home gardens because it’s strong. Vietnamese herbs are common so that sold popularly at any markets supermarkets.
Herbs are used in different ways:
– Served with steamed rice and other main dishes (Deep-fried elephant fish ear and fish sauce dip, Braised fish, Braised pork and egg in caramel) at home;
– Served with lots of traditional savory cakes such as Vietnamese pancake, Khot cake, Question cake, Wet cake, Stuffed rice cake with pork;
– Served with most of the Vietnamese noodle soups (Pho, Hue beef noodle soup, Crab noodle soups, Clear rice noodle soup, Crab soup cake);
– Served with Rice noodles with grilled pork, Rice noodles with Deep-fried tofu and fermented shrimp paste;
– Served with snail and seafood dishes, Fertilized duck egg;
– Wrapped in Vietnamese spring roll;
– Used to fill Vietnamese bread;
– Put into most of the Vietnamese soups, salads (Sweet and sour soup, Salad with banana blossom, Salad with lotus root);
Warmest Greetings To All from Tracy Do! If you have any questions about Vietnam including Vietnam tours, do not hesitate to contact me.
- Tel (Call/SMS/Whatsapp): 090 919 0247
- Email: email@example.com
Tracy’s team is proud to provide excellent Vietnam tours and travel services to thousands of guests for 10 years. Let us have a chance to show you Vietnam to the fullest.
Followings are some popular Vietnamese herbs:
Parsley (Ngo tay) is used to fill Banh mi, put into many kinds of soups, noodle soups and salads;
Mint leaves (Bac ha) is used as ingredients of many delicious Vietnamese salads, served with Vietnamese rice noodle dishes;
Fragrant knotweed (Rau ram) is a must herb to eat with Fertilized duck egg, snail and seafood dishes, ingredient to cook some specialties such as Braised chicken with fragrant knotweed, Salad with chicken and fragrant knotweed; this kind of herb rarely served with Vietnamese rice noodle dishes and rice noodle soups;
Balm-mint (Tia to) is must be served with Rice noodles with Deep-fried tofu and fermented shrimp paste, Rice noodle soup with snail, snail dishes, frog dishes, braised eel with green banana;
Basil (Hung que) is ingredient of Vietnamese spring roll, salads, served with rice noodles and noodle soups, especially served with blood pudding, boiled duck, boiled pig guts;
Marjoram (Kinh gioi) must be served with Rice noodles with Deep-fried tofu and fermented shrimp paste, served with rice noodles and noodle soups;
Fish mint (Diep ca) is ingredient of Vietnamese spring roll, served with many kinds of Vietnamese spring roll, Vietnamese pancake, Vietnamese rice noodle dishes but not rice noodle soups, eaten with steamed rice and some main dishes;
Ngo om (rice paddy herb) is put into Sweet and sour soup, used to cook Salad with morning glory and rice paddy herb;
Thorny coriander or Sawleaf (Ngo gai) is served with Pho noodle soup, put into Sweet and sour soup, Soup with bamboo shoot.
You might like this: Vietnamese pancake in Phan Thiet