Chè bà ba (Che ba ba, Chè thưng, Che thung) is a delicious Vietnamese sweet soup dessert which is made from more than ten ingredients including sweet potato, cassavas, taro, peeled mung bean, peanut, seaweed, tapioca strip, tapioca pearl, coconut meat (or canned coconut milk), pandan leaf, sugar, salt. The perfect mix of all of the ingredients has won the hearts of Vietnamese people and foreigners. A portion of Che ba ba is colorful, sweet potato and mung bean is yellow, peanut is brown, taro is purple, seaweeds are green, white coconut milk sauce. This Vietnamese sweet soup dessert has buttery, sticky, crunchy, sweet, and chewy tastes which blend wonderfully. The dessert can be eaten hot or cold with ice.
In Vietnamese, “chè” (che) means sweet soup, “bà ba” (ba ba) is a traditional southern Vietnamese garment which associated with rural Southern Vietnam. Vietnamese women are not only beautiful in Ao dai (Long dress) but also Ba ba. According to Vietnamese people, Che ba ba sweet soup is as beautiful, indigenous, and sweet as Vietnamese women in Ba ba. So that they call this dessert Chè bà ba (Che ba ba). From a rural food in the countryside of Southern Vietnam, Che ba ba has been more and more popular in the country. It can be found at street food stalls or restaurants in many regions of Vietnam. If you travel to Vietnam, do not miss a chance to try this amazing dessert. It is love at first bite for Che ba ba – a must-eat Vietnamese sweet soup dessert.
Below is the recipe for Vietnamese three color dessert:
- Sweet potatoes: 350g
- Cassavas: 200g
- Taroes: 200g
- Peeled mung beans: 100g
- Peanuts: 150g
- Seaweeds: 80g
- Tapioca pearls: 80g
- Tapioca strips: 80g
- Coconut meat: 500g (or canned coconut milk: 250ml)
- Sugar: 400g
- Pandan leaves: 2 (or green food coloring)
- Salt: 1/2 teaspoon
Step 1: preparing ingredients
- Soak peeled mung beans, seaweeds, tapioca pearls, tapioca strips separately in water for a few hours or overnight better.
- Boil peanuts until tender.
- If you use coconut meat, pour 300ml of hot water into coconut meat, squeeze and filter for the first extract. Pour 2l of hot water into the coconut meat, squeeze and filter again for the second extract.
- Peel and cut sweet potatoes, cassavas, taroes into cubes.
Step 2: cooking
- Cook 2l of water, the second extract of coconut meat, and mung beans until boiling.
- Add potatoes, cassavas, taroes and cook until tender.
- Add peanuts, tapioca pearls, tapioca strips, and pandan leaves and continue cooking until tapioca pearls, tapioca strips tender.
- Add seaweeds, sugar, and 1/2 teaspoon of salt.
- Add the first extract of coconut meat, stir well.