Motorbike dominates Ho Chi Minh City – the biggest city in Vietnam. Ho Chi Minh which is home to thousands of amazing things in back alleyways and main streets is a paradise for passionate motorbike enthusiast. Although riding a motorbike in Ho Chi Minh involves a few risks such as accidents and snatch theft, it is worth exploring the city with lots of hidden gems by motorbike. It would be a memorable experience of Travel Ho Chi Minh by Motorbike. This Ho Chi Minh Motorbike Rental Guide gives you some useful information about motorcycle rental in the city.
What is required for motorbike rental in Ho Chi Minh?
- A valid passport usually with over 6-month visa. They will keep the passport as collateral until you return the motorbike.
- Sometimes a deposit is required.
- Your contact information including hotel name and address, email, phone number. You can be asked to fill a form.
- Valid motorbike driving license which can be an international motorbike driving permit or your country’s motorbike driving permit converted into Vietnamese license. Some rental places do not require you to show the license.
Common and popular motorbikes and the motorcycle rental costs in Ho Chi Minh
Common and popular motorbikes in Ho Chi Minh include:
- Honda Wave Alpha 110CC, 8 USD/day
- Honda Wave RSX 110CC, 9 USD/day
- Honda Blade 110CC, 10 USD/day.
- Honda XR/CRF 150CC, 20 USD/day.
- Honda CRF 250CC, 35 USD/day.
- Honda Winner 150CC, 20 USD/day.
- Yamaha Exciter 150CC, 20 USD/day.
- Suzuki Raider 150CC, 20 USD/day.
- KTM Duke 390CC, 45 USD/day.
- Honda CB 500X, 45 USD/day.
- Royal Enfield Himalayan 400CC, 35 USD/day.
Rental costs range between 6 and 50 USD/day. The cost depends on the brand, engine capacity, model, manual shift/automatic shift, condition. usually includes one or two helmets, sometimes poncho, lock, and excludes petrol. However, the tank is enough for you to reach the nearest gas station. You can negotiate for better deals. The longer you rent the motorcycle, the lower the cost is. For example, a Honda Blade rental costs 10 USD/day and 250 USD/month.
Manual motorbikes are suitable for steep mountain passes and roads while automatic motorbike is a perfect choice to ride on flat smooth roads. I would like to recommend the automatic in Ho Chi Minh.
What should you inspect when renting a motorbike?
There are 3 main reasons why you should inspect the motorcycle when renting it:
- Safety: If the motorcycle is in poor condition, risks of traffic accidents are increased.
- Time: Checking the motorbike is to make sure that you do not spend a couple of time on repairing it.
- Money: You are responsible for any damage to the motorbike after renting. The renter/owner can ask you to pay for the repairs.
What to inspect?
- Brakes: Make sure both the front and rear breaks function properly.
- Driving: Make sure the bike is riding straight.
- Lights and horn: Make sure the lights are bright and the horn is loud enough.
- Tires: Check tires for good pressure and ample tread.
- Shocks: Push forward and down on the handlebars while grabbing the front brake to check the shocks.
- Engines: The engine should hum regularly.
- Chain: Make sure the chain does not have too much slack on it.
- Cosmetic: Show the renter any scratch or crack on the motorcycle.
- Contract or rental agreement: Read the contract carefully.
How to fill the fuel?
As mentioned above, the tank is enough for you to head the nearest gas station. You can ask the owner for the address of the gas station. The average price of fuel in Ho Chi Minh is 20,000 VND/liter. You can ask them to fill the tank or a half of the tank. It costs 50,000 – 70,000 VND to fill the tank. Pay attention when fueling and if it feels weird, do not do it.
Where to rent a motorbike in Ho Chi Minh?
Tigit Motorbikes, B2-00.01 Sarimi, Sala, 72 Nguyen Co Thach, An Loi Dong Ward, District 2, Ho Chi Minh City. Website: https://www.tigitmotorbikes.com
Chi’s Cafe, 185/30 Pham Ngu Lao Street, Pham Ngu Lao Ward, District 1, Ho Chi Minh City.
Scooter Saigon Rental, 23 Han Mac Tu, Tan Thanh Ward, Tan Phu District. Website: https://saigonscooterrental.com/
Saigon Scooter Center, 151 Luong Dinh Cua Street, Binh An Ward, District 2. Website: http://www.saigonscootercentre.com/
Flamingo Travel, 30A Do Quang Dau Street, Pham Ngu Lao Ward, District 1. Website: http://www.flamingotravel.com.vn/rentals/
Read more details at Top 5 Motorbike Rental in Ho Chi Minh
What to do if there are problems with the motorbike on the way?
Do not try to find a motorbike repair store on the way in Ho Chi Minh. Just contact the renter for his help. The reason is that some mechanic replaces some parts with bad accessories, which make the motorbike worse. And you will be responsible for all of the damage to the motorbike.
You would like to travel Ho Chi Minh on two wheels but you could not drive a motorbike or do not have a motorbike driven license, do not hesitate to join our Ho Chi Minh motorbike tours: