Vietnamese people love fresh vegetables and salads are their favorite. But Vietnamese salads don’t consist of mayonnaise, but the sauce is usually made from lime juice, sugar, salt and fish sauce. Green papaya salad with shrimp and pork (Gỏi đu đủ tôm thịt) is one of the most delicious and healthy salad in Vietnam. This salad epitomizes the Vietnamese love of contrasting textures and flavors. It’s the perfect blend of smoky, salty shrimp, tender boiled pork, crunchy shredded green papaya, smelling and fresh herbs and spicy chili.
It’s an easy cooking dish because skillfulness and patience aren’t required. It takes about 15 minutes to prepare and 5 minutes to mix the salad.
Ingredients of Green papaya salad with shrimp and pork are as below:
– 200gr green papaya, shredded into thin long strands (about 4 cups), rinsed and spun dry;
– 200gr pork belly, finely chopped;
– 100gr raw shrimp, shelled, boiled, de-veined and sliced in half length ways;
– 1/4 teaspoon peppercorn;
– 1 tbsp crushed roasted peanuts;
– 5 teaspoon fish sauce;
– 1 teaspoon minced shallots;
– 1 tablespoon vegetable oil;
– 1 teaspoon minced garlic;
– 5 teaspoons sugar;
– 1 chili, chopped;
– Fish sauce dip: 3 tbsp fish sauce 3 tbsp white wine vinegar, 2 tbsp sugar, 2 cloves garlic finely chopped, 1 chilli – finely chopped, 2 tbsp lime juice.
Step 1: Making the dressing
Combine the fish sauce, sugar, vinegar, and 125ml water in a saucepan before stirring over medium heat until just before boiling point is reached, and then set aside.
2. Stir the salad
Place shrimp, remaining sugar, shallots, chili flakes, fish sauce and oil in a big bowl and stir well.
3. Serve the salad
Turn the salad out onto a serving platter and sprinkle over the sliced chili and crushed peanuts.
You might also like: