Until 9th February, there are 3 cases of Coronavirus in Ho Chi Minh City. 3 patients are infected in Wuhan, then travel to Ho Chi Minh City.
Two Chinese people named Li Ding (66-years-old) and his son Li Zichao (28-year-olds) arrived in Ho Chi Minh on 19th Jan 2020. They went to a hospital because of fevers on 22nd Jan. They were treated at Cho Ray Hospital and tested negative for the virus.
A Vietnamese-American tested positive for the virus in Ho Chi Minh City. He was a transitted in Wuhan Tianhe International Airport for 2 hours on 15th January 2020, then lived in Trieu Han Hotel, 382/1-3 in Nguyen Thi Minh Khai Street. He had a cough on 27th January. He has been treated at the Tropical Hospital of Ho Chi Minh City since 31st January.
There is no cross-contamination until now.
It has been researched that Coronavirus weakens when the temperature is higher than 25 degrees Celcius. Although all of us are not sure about that. The weather of Ho Chi Minh City is rather high so that it is perhaps safer than some regions in Vietnam.
Tan Son Nhat International Airport (Ho Chi Minh City) rejects passengers who have lived or transitted in China.
All flights are banned between Tan Son Nhat and China.
The airport carries out checks for Coronavirus.
All students and pupils will not go to schools or universities until 17th February.
More than 300,000 people are forced to wear masks every day. They include officers of Ministries, People’s Committees of districts, wards, the city, staff in hotels, canteens, shopping centers, markets, vendors, passenger transport.
They sterilize public means of transportations, airports, bus stations, railway stations, hospitals, schools, universities and many other public places.
In fact, it has been told that shopping centers, markets for tourists, tourist attractions, restaurants and bars in the city are sparse because of the Coronavirus.
Prices are very cheap although this is the high tourism season in Ho Chi Minh City.
What to bring with you on your travel to Ho Chi Minh City?
- Ten disposal medical face masks, 1 reusable fabric face mask.
- One or two hand sanitizers.
- Disposal gloves.
- Vitamin C or multivitamin pills.
- Towels, blanket, spreadsheet and pillow cover.
Can I buy them when I am in the city? Certainly, Ho Chi Minh City has hundreds of places for you to buy. However, it is better to not go to places that are not related to travel. In addition, you are not able to be sure about the quality of masks, sanitizers and pills in a strange city. Sometimes, convenience stores, drug stores and supermarkets are far from your hotel and you spend an hour to buy the items. In some stores, they say the masks and sanitizers run out.
Read more about Travel Safety Tips for Coronavirus (Covid-19) in Vietnam
How to customize your original plans?
Stay at hotels which are spacious enough, often sterilize public areas, order the staff to wear masks. Guesthouses, homestays or Airbnb are not good choices at this time.
Instead of visiting tourist attractions, tourists can change to hidden places where there are less foreign tourists.
Shop for souvenirs, clothes and accessories are not worth buying and going to crowded shopping centers.
Private tours are better than group tours on which you join tours with dozens of other guests.
- #Warning: Wear your mast in public places and in crowds. Gloves are recommended to wear.
- #Warning: Wash your hands frequently.
- Change your clothes after going out or at the end of the tours. Use laundry services in your hotel.
- Taxis or motorbike taxis are better than public buses.
- #Warning: Ask your guides and drivers to wear masks.
- Pay online instead of cash. Book tours online instead of coming to tour agencies.
- Leave the airport, bus stations, railway station quickly.
- Call receptionists instead of going to the lobby and talk to them. Call tour agencies instead of meeting the staff at their office to modify or cancel bookings.
- Order private meals or eat with private dining wares if they serve set menus. Buy packed foods, canned and bottled drinks instead of unpacked foods, for exampled packed cakes. Hot foods and foods which are served right after cooking are recommended. Tell them to warm cold foods, blanch fresh vegetables and herbs. Stay away from finger foods and cold foods (Banh mi, Rice noodle salads, etc.). You can eat fried chicken, French fries, pizza with forks, knives and spoons. You can skip trying street foods at food and drink stalls. However, it is not a must to stay away from street foods.
- Do not swim in swimming pools in your hotel.
Read more about Coronavirus Live Updates in Vietnam