Hue is full of delicious and elegant sweet soups. Some of the sweet soups are made from yams and sweet potatoes. Purple yam sweet soup (Chè khoai tía, Che khoai tia) is an impressive recipe among yam sweet soups in Hue. Che khoai tia is similar to Hue girl who is simple, romantic, graceful, and beautiful in purple Ao dai.
Actually, Che khoai tia is very simple. It is made from purple yam, sugar, coconut milk (optional). Purple yam – the soul of this dessert is a tuberous root vegetable. The tuber is usually vivid violet to bright lavender in color. It is sometimes confused with taro. Purple Yam is an earthy, healthy and delicious food. It is a mildly sweet and an excellent source of nutrients. It is rich in carbohydrates but low in protein and fat. It contains vitamins C, B1, Iron, B5, B9, B3, B2 and Zinc. Purple yam which is grown in Hue is tastier and its shade of purple is darker than the others in the country. It is one of the reasons why Purple yam sweet soup in Hue is the most delicious.
Vietnamese people usually use this yam to cook Purple yam soup with shrimp (or pork), Fried purple yam cake, Steamed sticky rice with purple yam. The yam is a perfect ingredient for Purple yam sweet soup which has won the hearts of all ages. Coming to Hue, do not miss enjoy a portion of Che khoai tia. It can warm your stomach and satisfy your taste. The purple sweet soup which is served in a small bowl makes diner relax and forget problems and sadness.
Here is the recipe for Hue purple yam sweet soup:
- Purple yams: 1kg
- Sugar: 300g
- Vanilla (optional)
- Coconut milk (optional)
- Salt (optional)
- Wash purple yams, peel them off, cut them into small pieces.
- Cook purple yams in water until well-done. It takes about 15 minutes to cook over low heat.
- Mash or blend cooked purple yams until a smooth paste. Mix the paste with sugar. You can add vanilla and salt.
- Cook the mashed yams until boiling.
- Serve the Purple yam sweet soup with coconut milk.
- Just note that the sweet soup should be not too runny, not too thick.